Meifongpolitan

Friday 11 July 2008

Moving and Kokuryo!

It was Friday the 11th. Moving day and I was all psyched up for it. Not quite so prepared though. I'd not finished packing yet despite trying my bestest to put aside time to pack before toppling into bed each morning after work. Luckily, WP who was helping me move was quite flexible in terms of when he could do it that day so I had a few hours to finish packing. By 11.30am, I gave him a call and he came over. I was both relieved and surprised when we actually managed to load all my stuff into his car! I had thought that we might have to split it into two carloads. So we set off for Glasgow.

Less than 1 hr later, we arrived. Here are some photos of the flat before I messed it up with my stuff!

Sitting room view 1


Sitting room view 2


Bedroom view 1

Same bedroom view 2

It was past one in the afternoon, so we just piled my luggage into the flat higgledy-piggledy and then left for lunch at Kokuryo on Argyle St. Kokuryo is definitely one of the plus points of living in Glasgow I have to say! I love Korean food and this is the only Korean restaurant in Scotland. Well, they are supposedly about to open a branch in Edinburgh soon, so Edinburgh Korean food lovers, you can rejoice!

I normally go for spicy dishes but I decided to try the bulgogi this time. WP ordered an omelette for a starter, claiming it was amazing. After helping myself to about half of his omelette, I agreed! I offered him my rice cakes instead, although they were probably poor compensation. The bulgogi was full in flavour but having to wrap it in lettuce made for messy eating. I think the bibimbap still rules!

Side dishes


Tteokbokki - Spicy rice cakes


Korean omelette with spicy dip


Bulgogi (above) served with lettuce and ssamjang (below)




Miso soup


Dolsot bibimbap

All work and no sleep makes for a very tired me, unfortunately. WP kindly gave me a lift to Falkirk where I took the train back to Edinburgh. My train to London the following day would be from Edinburgh. I slept all the way on the train and also as soon as I got into my sister's flat. zZZ

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 19 July 2008 at 20:19 , Blogger CY said...

    Wow, it's quite a nice looking apartment u have there.

    Frankly, I've never really tasted korean dishes. Care to explain what bimimbap is? The name of the dishes sounds exotic. :)

     
  • At 23 July 2008 at 07:14 , Blogger Unknown said...

    I'm so going to come and stay at your place! and we are so going to eat Korean!

     
  • At 24 July 2008 at 05:47 , Blogger meifong said...

    cy: bibimbap is a staple of Korean cuisine. It can either be served in a normal bowl or in a stone bowl that keeps the contents sizzling even half an hour after it's been served! It's basically glutinous rice with an assortment of shredded vegetables, egg, minced beef and served with gochujang (a spicy sauce which you mix into the rice for flavour)

     
  • At 24 July 2008 at 05:47 , Blogger meifong said...

    ll: yeah by all means come. I think my kitchen might need cleaning :)

     
  • At 31 July 2008 at 14:55 , Blogger ngyahloon said...

    mei fong, you've shifted again!:P Are you sure you have only 1 car-load of stuff? Still remember last year your stuff and karen's stuff took us whole night to move:P

     
  • At 6 August 2008 at 04:06 , Blogger Ivy said...

    Wahh...looks like this is gonna be a food-blog! Don't let your hunger get the best of you before snapping those great shots of glorious food...! ;)

     
  • At 7 August 2008 at 06:14 , Blogger Unknown said...

    comments as promised!:):)
    visit my (not as hunger/jealousy-inducing) blog too!
    :D:D

     
  • At 15 August 2008 at 06:44 , Blogger meifong said...

    Alan: Yes I'm sure it fit into one car journey! Ask WP if you don't believe me. Although I have to say I had one large suitcase left over which I brought to the flat at a later date after working my last weekend in Stirling.

     
  • At 16 August 2008 at 06:39 , Blogger iamthewitch said...

    The bulgogi portion is HUGE! Could you actually finish all of it??? And your apartment is really nice looking! Next year I'll plan a trip to UK (promise!) and I'll visit you and my cousin! :)

     
  • At 19 August 2008 at 11:25 , Blogger meifong said...

    Mei Yee: I'm not sure if I'll still be staying here when you come..but hopefully I will be staying in an equally nice place!

     
  • At 25 October 2008 at 21:08 , Blogger meifong said...

    Jacintha: I tried visiting you blog but I think access is restricted, leh

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home