Meifongpolitan

Thursday 19 June 2008

Flat Hunting Frenzy with a ?satisfying conclusion

It's hard to believe but there are only about 7 weeks left to the end of FY1. On the 6th of August, the familiar migration of doctors to their new posts takes place. It's also the time of the year when you probably do not want to be admitted to hospital! New doctors, fresh out of medical school and still wet behind the ears, embark on their medical careers and I honestly believe that complications, morbidity and mortality are higher then.

In any case, I will be moving to Glasgow and starting work in the West End. With that in mind, I spent the whole of last weekend trawling through the websites of various letting agencies, spent my lunch breaks for the whole of last week on the phone to property agents trying to arrange suitable viewing times, and travelled to Glasgow straight after work everyday in search of the perfect flat. What I learnt was that the majority of property agents will only show flats on Mon-Fri between 9-5pm which can be extremely inconvenient as I work the same hours they do, if not longer. The weather was not the most accommodating either as it rained everyday this last week. Ajeet my flatmate insisted on wearing slippers to view flats so that she wouldn't have to have soaked shoes. :)

There were the disappointing moments such as when an amazing two bedroom flat on Benalder St had been snapped up by the time I called the agency advertising it. There were also eyebrow raising and 'let's get out of here feeling' moments when we saw ancient flats with ancient delapidated furniture which cost the same in rental as other significantly more desirable flats. I've never been familiar with Glasgow, but I learnt a lot about the geography of the West End in the last week just from the hours spent on Google Map!!

11 viewings and many coffees later, Ajeet and I finally narrowed down our choices to a cosy flat a stone's throw away from a major rail/underground/bus exchange and also a supermarket!! Imagine being able to walk in slippers to the shop around the corner to get some milk or eggs. It should also be only a 15 minute walk for me to my workplace. There were 2 other flats that we were seriously considering as well, but one didn't have a wardrobe (built in wardrobes are essential for a girl!!) and the other had two bathrooms, but only one with a shower and that was in the master bedroom. If any property developers are reading this, my advice would be to have the shower in the communal bathroom, and to have built in wardrobes in all bedrooms and to have mixed taps as well..I never understood why hot and cold water taps have to be separate.

We've put in a reserve on the flat mentioned above, but we'll keep looking to see if any better ones come up in the next two weeks. I am determined to have a really nice home for FY2!! Can't wait to move, really.

Exhausted from the long week, I slept the whole train journey from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley yesterday, waking up at the end to discover an old granny sitting next to me. I looked up and only then noticed a sign on the wall saying 'Please give up these seats for the elderly and disabled'. How embarassing!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home