Meifongpolitan

Sunday 28 June 2009

Conquering car illiteracy, almost

I took the plunge yesterday and bought a car!

In the space of 2 months, I went from being car illiterate to now being semi-illiterate. If someone had said then that I would now be able to identify the make of a car by looking at the symbol on the front I would have laughed out loud. I'd been in my flatmate's car dozens of times and all I knew was that she drove a Honda, without paying any attention to the finer details like the size of its engine, or the make of the car. The fact that it was red made a better impression on me than anything else. You're probably rolling your eyes thinking ' typical female' now.

I decided on buying a Honda after hearing about its legendary reliability and relative affordability. The initial decision was between a Jazz or a Civic. Both the Jazz and the older Civic are fairly boring looking cars, but then I discovered the new British Civic circa 2006-. The space age looks and functionality of its dashboard as well as roomy boot space cemented the decision for me. It also has a red start button to start the engine as opposed to the conventional turn in the lock. How cool is that? Toyota also makes reliable cars, but being a typical female, I opted for the stylish Civic compared to an Agyo or Yaris.

I bombarded my instructor with questions as we did the usual drill of roundabouts, junctions, manouvres and emergency stops. What did PAS stand for? Power assisted steering. What size engine would be suitable for my needs? What was an immobiliser? Did all cars have trackers? What're the pros and cons of buying a diesel/petrol car? What was the difference between buying from a franchised dealer/ non-franchised dealer or a private seller?

My instructor was kind enough to accompany me to the nearest Honda dealer to check cars out. I'd decided on a 1.4L petrol engine which would both be cheap to insure and to run. A low insurance group is significantly more important for someone with a new driving license as insurance costs are usually most expensive in the first year. An insurance quote of anything less than 1000 pounds for the first year would be considered cheap. Unfortunately, it turned out that 1.4L Civics were thin on the ground. Most tend to be 1.8 or 2.2L. There was only a black version available which was actually a decent car with a low mileage and in very good condition. The only problem was the colour. I felt that black was boring. I'd have plumped for red, silver or dark blue over black anytime.

Most people that I asked seemed to think that black was a good colour, though, and that it would be easier to resell compared to, canary yellow, for instance. A quick look at news articles outlining the highest selling colours established silver and black as the colours most buyers would opt for. There could be a bias though, as companies buying fleet cars are also more likely to opt for black. White seemed to be especially popular in the Far East, like Japan for instance.

I checked the dealer website again just before I went in to seal the deal. A new 1.4L in grey had arrived. There was also a silver available in a dealership across in Edinburgh. Unfortunately the latter was in the process of being sold when I phoned to arrange a test drive.
CY happened to be on MSN at the time so I started chatting to him about car colours. Both he and CH thought that black would be better than grey. He suggested that I put a poll up on my blog but I figured it would be pretty useless since the traffic on my blog is not the heaviest. I also needed a car pretty soonish. HS panned black in favour of grey. A couple of other friends thought black was fine and were surprised that colour mattered so much to me.

1.4L in Cosmic Grey Pearl

The 1.4L in Nighthawk Black Pearl

Which do you think looks better? There are also the following colours, which were only available in 1.8L or above:

Bluish silver metallic. I personally quite like this colour. It gives an air of tranquillity

Milano Red. Striking, isn't it? This is a head-turner, for sure.

Alabaster Silver Metallic. Very practical as dust doesn't show up as much.

Royal Blue Pearl


Let's just hope now it doesn't get vandalised in the grounds of Monklands Hospital.....

5 Comments:

  • At 28 June 2009 at 20:03 , Blogger Yin Hoon said...

    Based on the questions that you asked your instructor, I can almost be sure that I am car illiterate hahaha....

    I don't mind too much about the colours... anyway, I think black is nice... just make sure you clean it very often, else it'd be obvious when it gets dusty.

     
  • At 29 June 2009 at 17:17 , Blogger CY said...

    hahhaha... congratulations on the new ride! does that mean i'll get free transportation when i visit?

    anyways, the bluish silver model is a real looker. can't really agree with you on the red though.

     
  • At 30 June 2009 at 07:22 , Blogger meifong said...

    YH: Haha, don't worry, I'm sure you'll learn quickly. At the moment, I'm still not entirely sure how to refuel the car:P
    CY: I've yet to see a bluish silver model on the road. Hmm, maybe they're not very popular? You're more than welcome to get a ride but if you value your life, you might want to rethink being a passenger in my car..haha.

     
  • At 30 June 2009 at 18:07 , Blogger iamthewitch said...

    So have you decided which color to get yet? I personally think black looks nice but depending on whether you believe it or not, some people do not go well with black (according to Chinese believe) cause it usually means bad luck. I've had friend's cousin who met with accident ever since he bought black car, and 3 times too! Even my mom is one of them, her old car used to be black and she met with accidents like almost twice a year. Now she's driving a maroon car. :) But of course, it's case-by-case basis, some people are compatible I suppose.

     
  • At 1 July 2009 at 10:37 , Blogger meifong said...

    MY: I got the black car in the end. It was very shiny when they delivered it but I parked it outside the ventilation system of the hospital grounds yesterday so it's dusty already!!
    What you say about black being associated with accidents is actually true statistically. I think it's more to do with the fact that black is harder to see on the road and in the dark.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home