Meifongpolitan

Thursday 25 June 2009

License to drive

I passed my driving test today!! Thanks to my driving instructor who I get along quite well with. I had to change instructors as the first one I took my first 2 lessons with pointed out all sorts of things that were wrong with my driving in a not so nice way and then said I would need about 40 1 hour lessons before I was ready for the test. After saying this, he then said he was fully booked for the next 2 months!! Grr.. I did not have the time or the money for 40 lessons! I looked for another instructor on the internet and managed to find my current one who had plenty of experience, was more patient, gave constructive criticism instead of destructive criticism and also charged less! Or maybe I just like him more because he felt that I should be able to take the test after less than 20 hours of driving..hehe

I passed the Malaysian driving test about 10 yrs ago and have rarely driven in the last 7 years that I've been in the UK mainly because public transportation here is so reliable and also because I'd never had to commute to work. My workplaces have usually been within walking distance.

But starting in Aug this year it would be preferable to have a car as my new workplace is about 20 miles away from where I stay which means I would either have to commute by train or grow up and start driving! Unfortunately the Malaysian driving license cannot be converted into a UK license unlike some other countries like Singapore for instance. The test here is also stricter with different manouvres. So I had to take lessons to get to know the roads as well as get used to being behind a wheel again.

Thank God the weather was fair without being overly bright today. My examiner seemed content to allow me to concentrate on the road rather than distracting me with chatting as some examiners are wont to do. And luckily, the roundabouts were all clear!! I have a fear of roundabouts. Cars coming around don't usually signal accurately so I tend to slow down and wait until the roundabout is clear before emerging which is not what they want to see on the test. He made me pull over about 4 times which made me nervous as each time I thought he'd say 'that's enough, we should swap seats' which would be a sign that i'd failed!

So now it's time to buy a car, which unfortunately will be a major expenditure.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home