Meifongpolitan

Sunday 7 June 2009

Losing things


I invariably lose belongings when I go on trips. I'm a klutz that way.

For instance, on my way back to New York from Boston two years ago, I managed to misplace an entire carrier bag. Items inside - my prescription glasses, one Boston cream pie, one pretty purple tank top, my mobile phone charger and one change of underwear. I hope whoever took it enjoyed the cream pie. I certainly did not have a chance to buy another pie. I also had to get my glasses replaced at a hefty USD price. I had to haggle with a street seller for a dubious looking replacement phone charger but it was worth it at less than one-fourth the price I would have to pay in a shop.



In Washington DC, I left a white scarf behind on the subway. Luckily I managed to get a new one for only 5 usd.



In Brisbane back in 2004, I was almost mugged on the train as I had engrossed myself in a book and left my shoulder bag on the seat next to me. A six-foot tall white man grabbed it and rushed out the train doors at one of the stops. Things got a bit messy therafter. I had to sprint for over 100m to retrieve it and knew for the first time what it meant to be charged with adrenaline.



During my recent trip to London I lost my favourite cocktail ring set with green stones.



And last but not least, when my sister and I were trapped on the Eiffel Tower for 2 hours due to heavy rain, someone took my umbrella!! It was only worth 1 GBP and I can understand the attraction of an umbrella under those circumstances but boy was I annoyed. Fortunately the weather never deteriorated beyond a drizzle thereafter.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 14 June 2009 at 21:05 , Blogger CY said...

    are u for real? that's really a lot of things to loose!

    and the snatch thief incident...bravo\
    out of curiosity, how did u manage to get back ur bag from the 6ft tall dude?

     
  • At 15 June 2009 at 14:37 , Blogger meifong said...

    cy:haha..i was a wee bit younger then. Thinking back, it was really rash, but i recklessly ran out the train doors after him and managed to catch up with him after sprinting 100m on the near-empty train platform. Amazing what adrenaline can do for you huh?

     
  • At 15 June 2009 at 20:04 , Blogger CY said...

    well, sprinting 100m should not be a problem for you. you used to run for the school right? that fella chose the wrong girl to mess with.

     
  • At 28 June 2009 at 11:52 , Blogger meifong said...

    CY: I have to say that thoughts like ' What if he has a gun or a knife? What if he hits me?' ran through my mind when I caught his sleeve and forced him to stop. So it was God's grace that nothing happened, but I certainly won't be doing that again.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home